Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tag

I had no idea what to blog about today when I remembered a few weeks ago I got tagged by Kelly Lyman and Southern Princess to answer these questions. So thank you for the blog topic ladies! I don't know what I would have done without you.

There are a lot of them, so skim away.

1) What's the last thing you wrote? What's the first thing you wrote that you still have?

I’m still working on my NaNo story. I wrote 1000 words for it this morning. The first thing I wrote two and a half years ago when I decided I wanted to write was a short story about fairies. It was actually kind of funny-- one of the few pieces I wrote at the beginning that I don't hate now.

2) Write poetry?

Nope.

3) Angsty poetry?

I don’t think I write angsty anything.

4) Favorite genre of writing?

To write: MG.

To read: probably YA or literary fiction.

5) Most annoying character you've ever created?

Gracie, my MC’s best friend in UNDERGROUND

6) Best plot you've ever created?

Written or not yet written (I haven't written all that much!)? I’ve got some great ones in my head right now, but the best one I’ve actually written is probably UNDERGROUND (my MG novel-- it's about tunnels and bank robbers and young love).

7) Coolest plot twist you've ever created?

I wrote a short story last year about a boy who discovers a room in his house where time stops. Let’s just say, it wasn’t as great as he thought it would be.

8) How often do you get writer's block?

Everyday.

9) Write fan fiction?

Nope.

10) Do you type or write by hand?

Type. My hand hurts after about 200 words when I try to write by hand.

11) Do you save everything you write?

Not EVERYTHING, but I do save a couple drafts of everything I’ve written.

12) Do you ever go back to an idea after you've abandoned it?

YES!

13) What's your favorite thing you've ever written?

Probably the short story from last year.

14) What's everyone else's favorite story you've written?

UNDERGROUND

15) Ever written romance or angsty teen drama?

Not really.

16) What's your favorite setting for your characters?

Made up places.

17) How many writing projects are you working on right now?

Uh, do I really have to say—it’s an embarrassingly large number.

18) Have you ever won an award for your writing?

I think I won something for a story I wrote in grade school. Does that count?

19) What are your five favorite words?

Ugh, Bah, Um, Uh, and Huh

20) What character have you created that is most like yourself?

I really don’t know. I think a lot of my characters have some of my personality traits, but I don’t think any of them are very much like me.

21) Where do you get your ideas for your characters?

From people I know.

22) Do you ever write based on your dreams?

Nope.

23) Do you favor happy endings?

Usually. I love ironic endings too, even if they're sad.

24) Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?

Yes, but I still make TONS of mistakes.

25) Does music help you write?

Not really. I find it a little distracting.

26) Quote something you've written. Whatever pops in your head.

These are my last few sentences from yesterday’s writing:

“Man, are you crying?” A voice asked.

My hands flew up to my cheeks, and sure enough they were wet. I wiped them with my palms, and tried to look tough as I replied, “Allergies.”


I think I'm supposed to tag more people, so I'm going to tag all of my new friends named Sara or Sarah, because they're all awesome:

Sarah Skilton

Sarah Forgrave at Every Woman's Journey

Sara McClung at The Babbling Flow of a Fledgling Scribbler

Hopefully you haven't already been tagged!

Go check out the Sara(h)'s blogs. You won't regret it.


And question for the day: Do you ever have a hard time coming up with blog topics? What do you blog about when you have nothing to say?

24 comments:

Susan R. Mills said...

I loved reading your answers. It's always fun to get to know people better. And yes, I have a hard time coming up with blog topics. Somehow, something always comes to mind, even if it's not very interesting.

Tamika: said...

It was fun reading your answers! I'm glad I'm not the only person who gets writer's block everyday!

L.T. Elliot said...

Loved your answers and I'm interested in hearing more about Unknown.

I always have trouble with blog posts. I haven't written one in a week+ for that exact reason. Where, oh where did my blogginess go?

V. S said...

Great answers. Underground sounds interesting. Hopefully one day I will be able to pick it up and read it :)

Stephanie Thornton said...

Hehehe... I love your favorite words.

Tag is fun, isn't it? :)

Jessica said...

It was fun learning more about you!

Sometimes the blogging well runs dry. Then I usually post some linkage or write something personal. :-)

Jemi Fraser said...

Your favourite words are fun!! Great responses. I like the choosing of the Sara(h)s! :)

Sara McClung ♥ said...

Aw, thanks! Yay for new friends :-) I actually was tagged before, but I'll relink to it next week... I really liked your five words too--I use them frequently!

I have SO much trouble coming up with blog post topics... And when I do think of them, it happens at the worst time. In the shower. In the car. At dinner. So by the time I can write myself a note--I can't remember. OR even worse, when I do remember, I can't figure out why I thought it was a good idea in the first place. Sigh.

That's why for the contest I'm having, people get points for telling me a topic they want me to post about... I know, it's kind of cheating but it's been really nice getting a list of things that I don't have to come up with... I highly recommend it!

Marybeth Poppins said...

I'm not a big fan of coming up with blog topics. It's a big pain!

A big AMEN for music being distracting though. I'm glad to finally find someone who agrees :D

Catherine Denton said...

I'm so glad you write Middle Grade. I feel connected. My heart is in MG (although I dabble in picture books too). And I loved your plot twist about the time-stopping room.

Yes I do struggle with blog topics. But I have a schedule I try to keep and that helps me stay rolling.

VR Barkowski said...

Great responses, Natalie! I love ironic endings. More real, plus I crave being surprised.

Now, about those five favorite words: is that in real life or just in your writing. :)

Linda Kage said...

Thanks for sharing. It's fun to learn more about you. And I loved your excerpt!

Tracy said...

Thanks for all the fun answers! I don't have any problems coming up with blog topics because I don't blog when I have nothing to say. So far it's worked for me...it's not like people are emailing and asking for more blog posts or anything. (Um, except my mom. Every time I talk to her, she says "When are you going to blog again?" Mind you, she hasn't had to ask lately...)

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Uh, I like you word choice, lady!

Heather Sunseri said...

I love your favorite words!! Your personality just pops off the screen with your answers! I love getting to know my blog friends this way.

Sarah Skilton said...

it's about tunnels and bank robbers and young love.

I'm SO IN. Sounds fantastic!

And thanks for the tag. I'll definitely post my answers on Monday :) Have a lovely weekend.

Jennifer Shirk said...

"(my MG novel-- it's about tunnels and bank robbers and young love)"

I'm sold! I love to read MG, too. :)

I don't know, if I don't have anything interesting to say I just chit-chat on my blog--about TV, current events, etc...

ElanaJ said...

I'm so glad you don't write poetry either. :)

And yes, coming up with blog topics is beyond hard. BEYOND. Sometimes what I think is just drivel, everyone loves. So I try not to think so hard anymore. It seems to be working so far.

destrella said...

Fun answers! If I try to come up with blog posts, no luck.... I will see something or hear a phrase and then a post explodes in my head. Isn't that how everyone does it, with an explosion....? :O)

Voidwalker said...

I love these tag posts, they are so informative. :)

And lookout world, there's 3 crazy sara(h)'s running around looking for people to tag next.

**hides** :o)

Lisa and Laura said...

Non poetry writers UNITE! Laura does all the poetry in our little team. I'm terrible with it.

As for not having anything to blog about, um yeah, I hate it when that happens and it happens a lot. Usually I just make Laura figure it out! Ha!

Erica said...

Great answers! I love your five words... LOL! It's funny to see everyone's answers of that one question. Some people pick five words that go together and some just random five :o)

Underground sounds like a cool story!

Hmmm blog topics... yeah, um. I don't blog every day and that's for a reason. I try and blog when the idea comes. I wish I were more interesting, then maybe I could blog about more!

BTW you're blog is great and the blog topics you choose are always interesting and sincere :o)

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

I liked Gracie!
And yes, I try to only blog twice a week. Mainly because I thin people would be bored if I wrote moe than that. lol. Usually I can think of two things a week to blog about. But sometimes it is tough.

Word Designer said...

I liked what you quoted. Is that from your WIP?

I'm glad to know you a little better.

Wordy
Word Designer