Sunday, December 12, 2010

I Believe in You

Pursuing publication is hard.

If you are reading this you probably wrote a book. A WHOLE BOOK. You spent hundreds of hours of your life making it as good as it can be. You loved it. You were proud of it.

You queried agents. You're work was rejected. Maybe, eventually, an agent liked it and you moved to the next step. Maybe no one connected with it, so you wrote another book, and maybe another one after that, hoping that someday, someone would appreciate your work.

If you are one of the lucky ones (and yes, luck does play a role here) who managed to find an agent who loved your work, then you moved onto the next step, editor submissions. Maybe your book was brilliant and it got picked up at auction the first week. Or maybe you waited. A long time. And you came so close, but never close enough. So you wrote another book, hoping that maybe this would be the one to make it to the bookstore shelves.

Maybe you decided to self publish. Maybe you gave up on publication and instead wrote just for you and your family. Maybe you gave up writing all together for a while.

We've all traveled different roads to get us where we are today. I know that among my blog friends there are BRILLIANT writers who have worked at it for years. I also know there are some of us who are just starting out, who will learn in the coming years exactly what it means to be a writer.

I just want to tell all of you, whether you've been writing for a week or fifty years, that I believe in you. I really believe you can write a book that people will love.

It won't be easy. In fact I promise it will be very, very hard. But you can do hard things. If this really is something you want, you CAN do it.


Happy Holidays everyone! I'm going to take a little blogging break so I can put all my focus on the kids while they're out of school. For all those who celebrate, have a wonderful Christmas!

26 comments:

L.T. Elliot said...

This is so beautiful, Natalie. Thank you! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Merry Christmas!

Serenissima said...

Lovely post, and so true! (I'm up to five manuscripts and six years, still waiting for that book deal.) Enjoy your break!

Amanda J. said...

Well said. Thanks for the motivational boost, Natalie! Happy Holidays! :)

Keisha Martin said...

You stated everything that I felt. As of late I have stopped querying and retained a new editor to polish my manuscript, I have always known that the road to getting firstly an agent will be the hardest goal I have ever attempted, but it's not an impossible goal which is what is keeping me going. Publication is different and I guess when I do get an agent and begin the process of submitting to editors then I will understand it, because I will experience it. All I can do now is appreciate the stories that have to be released from my mind and hope luck finds me so that I may accomplish my dreams. Happy Holidays.

Jessica A. Briones said...

Thanks for the motivation, I am sure there are many of us that at times just want to throw in the towel. It's the kind of words you've just written that keep us pushing on and let us know the we CAN!

Happy Holidays!

Dana Elmendorf said...

That is so sweet. Yes, we all take different journey's as writers and I appreciate your support. Have a Merry Christmas!

DL Hammons said...

Such a time appropriate statement. I Believe!

Merry Christmas Natalie!! :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Natalie, you are wonderful. Thanks for this encouraging post. We can never have too many believe who help us believe. :-)

Have a wonderful break with your kiddos!

Melissa said...

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Have a wonderful Christmas!

MC Howe said...

Thanks for the pick-me-up, Natalie.

Merry Christmas!

Abby Minard said...

What a great post- thank you! We all need a little encouragement once in a while. A blogging break sounds nice! Have fun!

Jade said...

Awww, thanks!! Merry Christmas!

Sara B. Larson said...

What a wonderful post! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family. :)

Elizabeth said...

Just what the doctor ordered. Thank you.

Merry Christmas!

Little Ms J said...

I needed this today, thank you! I wrote one book and am hesitantly in the middle of number two. Somedays it feels like I will never finish and other days I feel as if it is the best story to wind itself around my brain.

Joanne Fritz said...

This is really sweet, Natalie. I believe in you too. And I also think it's nice that you're taking time off to be with your family. That is really what it's all about.

Tabitha Bird said...

Wonderful post!

It is hard. Writing is hard. I think all things worth doing are hard. If it were easy to write a book and have it published everyone would be doing it. :)

I too hold the faith!

Christy said...

Such encouraging words. We can definately do hard things. Merry Christmas!

Anne Gallagher said...

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Yes, we can do it, one word, one page, one day at a time.

Lisa said...

Thank you for this! You are awesome! Happy Holidays!

Susan R. Mills said...

Lovely post! Thanks for the encouragement. You have a wonderful break and a Merry Christmas!

Jean Ann Williams said...

We writers need more of this. Encouraging words!

Thanks for the post!

Paul Greci said...

Great post, Natalie!! Thank you :-)

Miranda Kenneally said...

Great post! I hope it gives hope to everyone. :)

Heather Sunseri said...

What a beautiful, encouraging post, Natalie! Thank you for this post.

Terri Tiffany said...

Merry Christmas to you!