Monday, September 12, 2011

A Year

Sometimes I get tunnel vision. When I have a goal, whether it be renovating a bathroom or publishing a book, I put all my energy into it, often letting other important things slide.

Every now and then I need to be reminded of my priorities.

This happened one year ago, when I had my fourth baby. There were complications and as a result my little guy spent the first two weeks of his life in the hospital, learning to breathe.


Those weeks were the hardest of my life, but they were also cleansing in a way. I focused entirely on him. The only thing in the whole world I wanted was for him to be okay. All those other things, things I thought were important, disappeared.

I've tried to remember those weeks as I've gone through this year. It's been a frustrating time for my writing. Things haven't always happened the way I hoped they would.

But, when I think about the what REALLY matters to me, I have no complaints.



My little guy is a healthy, thriving one-year-old now.


My family is happy. Life is good. And I am grateful.


18 comments:

storyqueen said...

He is so adorable!

Life is good.

Shelley

Lisa Aldin said...

He's adorable! Sometimes writing can feel all-consuming. It is important to take a deep breath, and remember what's really important. Thanks for the reminder, Natalie. =)

Anne Gallagher said...

I remember that. Funny how a year passes so quickly.

And he's one beautiful baby!!!

ladonna watkins said...

Beautiful baby. Thanks for sharing.

E. Arroyo said...

Beautiful. And you are right, we do need to be reminded from time to time. Thanks for sharing.

Christine Fonseca said...

Thank you for sharing something so personal. Your life is fab!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Oh my gosh, he's the cutest little bugger! You're right about priorities, Natalie. Thank you for the reminder. :-)

Wen Baragrey said...

Wow, it's been a year already?! He's looking just so wonderful :) You're right, there's nothing like a crisis to focus your priorities, and when you see a photo like that, you know it's worth it all--stress, heartache, all of it :)

Congratulations on being one whole year old, wee man!

Marie Borthwick said...

oh he is just the most adorable thing! Its always best to focus on priorities - things that get shoved aside for the more paramont will get done when they get done. I am happy that things worked out for you.

MC Howe said...

He looks great Natalie. So glad he's doing well. Here's to happy years to come n

Caroline Starr Rose said...

What a handsome fellow! Good for you for remembering what's important and what can wait. xo

Jessie Oliveros said...

How happy. What a sweet little boy. My first was in the NICU for three days, and that was hard. I can't imagine two weeks of that...AND with kids at home. You are right about difficult times re-focusing you on the important things in life. It's easy to forget.

Stephanie Thornton said...

Yay! What a cutie--look at those little teeth!

I'm so glad things are going well for you. What a difference a year makes, right?

Catherine Denton said...

This made me cry. So glad he is a strong one-year-old! :)
My Blog

Sarah Skilton said...

He is such a darling! Happy Birthday to your sweet baby boy. Glad to hear he is thriving.

It's so true that real life has a way of making all other so-called problems disappear.

Paul Greci said...

I'm glad things are good at home! He is a cutey!! :-)

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

I just wanna reach through the screen and kiss him.

Happy Birthday, lil man!
xoxo

DL Hammons said...

If the foundation is solid, everything else is gravy! I'm so happy for you, your family, and especially your little guy!

Smear some cake on your face for me...fella! :)