Tuesday, January 17, 2012

How Do You Choose What To Read? (and MAY B Winner!)


The winner of MAY B, as chosen by Random.org, is Melissa Sarno. Congratulations Melissa! Email me your address and I'll get it to you ASAP.

Last week I went to book club. I LOVE book club, mostly because it's the only time all month when I get to be with my friends and without my (very lovely) children. We read SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson and, unsurprisingly, everyone liked it and we had a great discussion.

Most of the women in the group a major readers. While we chatting I thought I'd ask them how they choose which books to buy. I was especially interested to hear about how the kindle users picked one book over another.

This is what I got from the discussion.

-They choose books with a lot of positive reviews.

-They buy books that friends have recommended.

-They choose books priced over $8.00 or free classics. One of the women said that she steers away from anything with a low price ($0.99 to $2.99) because "it's usually a sign that the book will be awful." She said her time is too valuable to waste on a $0.99 eBook.

-They don't look at who publishes the book and don't care if it's self published, small press published, or big press published.

Now granted, this group probably doesn't represent the average Kindle reader, but I thought their answers were interesting, especially in light of the self publishing/$0.99 eBook boom.

How do you choose what to read? What matters most to you (price, publisher, reviews, cover, etc.)?

13 comments:

Christine Fonseca said...

Interesting, especially about the price point. Thanks

Wen Baragrey said...

I almost exclusively buy books that I've already heard the buzz about or have been recommended by someone who has similar taste to me. If I buy cheap ebooks, it's because it's an author I know already and their book is on sale, etc.

I don't have a big enough reading budget or enough reading time to waste on rubbish and I've been burned too many times by self-pubbed or cheap books. I hate to say that, because I don't like to tar everyone with the same brush and I know there are fantastic self-pubbed authors out there. It's just harder to find them.

It does happen, but just not often enough for me to risk my money.

Nicole Zoltack said...

I usually buy based on the blurb and the buzz I've heard about it.

SHANNON O'DONNELL said...

I know I'll love most MG and YA by Cedar Fort Publishing. I also rely on reviews and recommendations. :-)

Melissa Sarno said...

Yay! Thank you so much.

This list intrigues me. Especially the idea that books less than $2.99 are terrible. I think I have a similar feeling despite the fact that I have friends who have books that are those prices and I think their books are good! Its definitely a misconception...

Joanne Fritz said...

Congrats to Melissa!

Natalie, I don't own an e-reader. So maybe I shouldn't be answering this question. But I feel there are SO many wonderful MG and YA novels out there (and nonfiction too, of course) published by traditional publishers, that I'll never run out of reading material.

Naturally, it helps that I have an almost-unlimited supply of upcoming ARCs here at the bookstore, but hey, we have to have some perks! The pay is lousy.

But readers who don't work in bookstores can still go to their local library.

DL Hammons said...

My wife is a huge Kindle reader and she has found some amazing books that she loves...subsequently sought out the author's other works...and the books were priced at .99 cents. I'm just saying. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

I wish I could afford books over $8! Most of the ones I buy for my Kindle are much cheaper. I often go for books written by blog buddies, or by reading the blurb. Sometimes I worry about reviews, but not always :)

Patti said...

That's interesting about the .99 books. I never thought of it that way. I buy most of my books based on recommendations or what I've heard about them.

Giles Hash said...

I don't care how much it costs as long as it's well-written. The cover needs to draw me in, too, but that's a given to a lot of people.

Congrats, Melissa :D

Susan R. Mills said...

Very interesting. And congrats to Melissa!

Caleb J. Ross said...

Really interesting. I love hearing about how other readers choose books. I am also a giant nerd and created a Facebook poll a few months ago asking How do readers choose books? The results aren't too much different than what you've listed. Thanks for sharing.

Voidwalker said...

Hey there! I know I've been missing for some time, but I'm finally back. Glad to see you are still here and writing. Come say hi sometime!