Friday, September 18, 2009

Things that got neglected while I revised

I've been working on revisions for my agent this week. The things she wanted fixed were pretty minor, but I get a little obsessed when I start a new revision--I just need to get it done.

So I've been working hard. With my focus on the revision some of the other things in my life have been neglected. These are the things that haven't been given enough attention lately.

Our poor, poor vegetable garden.
It's needed attention for weeks, and for weeks my attention has been elsewhere.


The laundry (this is only one basket... there are 4 that need folding)

Cleaning (or even convincing the kids to clean)

The kids and the dog. I am ashamed to admit it, but there has been a lot of movie watching at our house this week. Luckily my three kids have each other and they play great together... when they aren't fighting. (Just so you know, I haven't totally neglected them. They are still fed and clothed and my baby has spent most of the week sitting on my lap as I type at the computer).

The good news is I'm almost done with revisions, and next week I plan to spend a lot of time at the park. (We'll see about the cleaning and the laundry.)

Do you ever let things slide in favor of writing?

11 comments:

MeganRebekah said...

All my TV watching has gone away (which isn't a bad thing). Laundry almost never gets done (I mean I can just buy new underwear, right?). Meals are eaten off as mamy paper products as possible to avoid dishes.

Jennifer Shirk said...

You bet! But I'm such a neat freak it doesn't last very long. LOL!

Marybeth Poppins said...

LOL...I have the EXACT same laundry basket (Thanks Target!) and sadly it looks exactly the same....full of unfolded clothing!

Many things get left behind when I write...but I always get around to them eventually.

Did I mention my 4 year old has watched Leap Frog so many times now that either he has the movie memorized or he is actually learning to read?!?! LOL

Good luck with the edits!

Lazy Writer said...

At least your laundry is in a basket; mine is on the floor, I believe. :)

Patti said...

Like Susan mine is scattered on the floor in my laundry room and I don't even have the excuse that I've been writing all week.

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

Kudos. I dont have kids or a hubby and I think my house looks just as messy as yours. lol.

Beth said...

Hi Natalie - I found your blog through Susan's a.k.a Lazy Writer :) I really enjoyed reading here, and I LOVE your blog design!

I absolutely let things slip in favor of writing (laundry is my favorite to slip) and my children have been known to watch more than the alloted 2 hours of television in a day (though I do try not to make that a habit!). I love the pic with your daughter and the sleeping dog...so cute!

Terri Tiffany said...

I am amazed that you can get all you do done with young children around! My husband makes it hard for me to even think and type cause he interupts me all the time!
Love your header-- is it new?

jkinkade said...

I can so relate. I told myself that today I would clean. But here I am. Not cleaning. Oh well. Maybe the road to hell is paved with procrastinators.

Dawn VanderMeer said...

I definitely let things slide in favor of writing. Now I do most of our laundry on the weekends, and my loads are much bigger. Bright side: more time for writing, and our water usage went down so I feel more environmental. Hee! I, too, love the picture with your daughter and the dog. Very sweet.

Congrats on nearing the end of those revisions!

Laura Martone said...

Like others here, I can totally relate. When I'm writing, revising, or blogging, everything else slips away. I have to force myself to take dish/laundry breaks, which, in a weird way, help to calm and energize me (if that makes any sense).

I don't know what I'd do if I had kids. The hubby and kitty are enough of a distraction. LOL!

P.S. I agree with Beth and Dawn - I love that photo of your daughter and the dog... the way she's absentmindedly touching him, and the way he's letting her... too adorable.