Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Music That Means Something

I found all of your insights into real vs. imaginary settings so interesting yesterday. Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Okay, I got tagged to share my 7 favorite songs weeks ago by my good friend Marie and then again last week by super-blogger Jen so I figured I should try to do it.

So first a confession: I love music but I don't LOVE music. I don't buy CD's, I usually don't listen to the radio, I own an iPod but it is filled with audio books. (You may all shun me now).

I do love it when a friend turns on a great song or I hear something wonderful on one of my very rare visits to the radio (or one of my very rare visits to the grocery store).

I don't really have favorites but there are a few songs I thought of that I really, really love. Here they are:


Isreal Kamakawiwo'Ole's (IZ) "Somewhere over the rainbow"

I just realized Karen mentioned this one too, but it is a great song.


Ella Fitzgerald's "I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good"

Um, yeah, I love everything Ella Fitzgerald ever did. Her voice is rich and emotional.


Dixie Chicks' "Landslide"

My husband and I have argued over who does the best version of Landslide. I say Dixie Chicks, all the way.


Claude Debussy's "Clair de Lune"

Both of my brothers are very accomplished pianists. They played this in high school. I've always loved it.


Colbie Caillat's "Bubbly"

Because it's fun.


Almost everything by Michael Jackson

I can't pick just one. I tried, but I love a lot of his songs.


Prayer of the Children, written by Kurt Bestor

In high school we had a men's chorus (Fifty 15-18 year-old boys) perform this. The lyrics and music are beautiful, and watching that particular group perform it was one of the most moving musical experiences I've had in my life (plus boys that sing are about the hottest thing in the world to a 16-year-old girl).



Many of you have been tagged for this already so I won't tag specific people. If you haven't done the music blog yet and you want to try, go for it! Or just tell me about a few songs you love in the comment section--that can count too.

19 comments:

Tamika: said...

Hi Natalie!

I may have done this before, but it was fun so here goes.
1. Praise Him In Advance
2. Run Til I Finish
3. In His Presence
4. Justified
5. Back II Eden
6. Souled Out
7. Love

MattDel said...

Here they are, in no particular order:

1. Don't Stop Believing
2. Then (Brad Paisley)
3. I Got A Feelin'
4. Free-Fallin'
5. 1-2-3-4
6. Bohemian Rhapsody
7. Under Pressure

Corey Schwartz said...

I'm like you. I don't go out and BUY music.

But certain songs always bring a smile to face. One of them is Here Comes the Sun. Gotta love the Beatles!

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, and LOVE LOVE LOVE Isreal Kamakawiwo's "Somewhere over the rainbow"

I had actually never heard ti till Jason Castro did it on American Idol!

Linda Kage said...

Wow, you picked such original songs... most I hadn't even heard of. All mine would be popular tunes I got off the radio like "Family Affair" by Mary J. Blige, "Have you Ever Really Loved a Woman" by Bryan Adams, "Hotel California" The Eagles, or "At Last" Etta James... though I do love the hymnal "Blest Be the Tie that Binds."

Thanks for sharing.

Eileen Astels Watson said...

I'm not a huge music fan, either. I listen to it often, but I don't usually make note of who the artist is. One song I do love and have made note of is John Waller's While I'm Waiting.

Jody Hedlund said...

I've become less of a music fan as I've gotten more children and more noise in my house! I value rare silence! However, when I'm writing, I do listen to some instrumental music for inspiration.

Jill Kemerer said...

I love music. I like to check out jazz artists from our library. One of my faves songs "Fried Neck Bones and Some Home Fries." (Willie Bobo)It's a beaut!

Patti said...

I love Somewhere over the Rainbow as well. I love listening to music especially when I run so I don't hear how hard I'm breathing.

jayna said...

Oh prayer of the children...I can hear them singing it now...

Lazy Writer said...

I love music. Lately, all I get to listen to is what my teenagers do. I guess I'm lucky that I like it. :)

Marybeth Poppins said...

I'm in love with music! I get goosebumps every time I hear Isreal Kamakawiwo's "Somewhere over the rainbow".

My 7 are...

1. Just like a Star by Corrine Baily Ray
2. Wild Horses by Natasha Bedingfield
3. Unsaid by the Fray
4. Hope Now by Addison Road
5. Worlds Apart by Jars of Clay
wow this is getting hard....
6. Lord Have Mercy by Michael W. Smith
7. I'll Be by Edwin McCain

Whew...that was hard. LOVED this post :)

Jessie Oliveros said...

Ha! This is funny that we posted at the same time. I'm not alone, and I like it when I hear a song I like on the radio or a CD that somebody else turns on. However, I never get the name of the song or artist.

EriCan said...

I dig Dixie Chicks- Landslide... I also like Fleetwood Mac's version!

Love, Love, Love Isreal Kamakawiwo's "Somewhere over the rainbow". I remember I heard for the first time in 50 First Dates. Fell for it right away.

I also agree with Michael Jackson- he has so many great songs- perfect for writing :)

jkinkade said...

Oooh, Like this post. Music, music. I don't have an iPod, but I bought my hub one and he loves it. I can't listen to music at work and in the car, well, I chat it up with my boys. That being said, I do have some favorites. Sultans of Swing is amazing. As is Rescue Pack from Go Diego Go. Seriously. It's a great song! You know what I'm talking about. Landslide rocks. Dixie Chicks version is tight. I love anything from Chopin. And I think Smooth Criminal is one of MJ's best ever. I also like that song, Hey there Delilah. Think I'll go download it now!

jkinkade said...

Ooops, forgot Santana. Evil Ways and Smooth. Very cool.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I LOVE music!

Here's a few my personal favs...

Taking Chances by Celine Dion

Blessed by Martina McBride

I Believe in YOu by Il Divo

I'm with You by Avril Lavigne


(PS. I think Smashing Pumpkins did the best Landslide remake) LOL!

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

I heart Ella. My book was inspired by Someone to Watch over Me. It was playing while I was baking cookies and one line started Maryah's story. The original draft had an Ella or Frank Sinatra quote at the beginning of some of my chapters. But I cut them due to the copyright issues. I still miss them. :(

Tabitha Bird said...

I love everything Pink has ever written- can't help it. I tried to help it... It didn't work.