Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Referral: A Success Story

By now I'm guessing that a lot of you have seen Roni (the Fiction Groupie's) big news, but if not go take a look. Don't worry, I'll wait.

Done? So now you know that Roni signed with my wonderful agent, Sara Megibow, earlier this week. Pretty darn awesome right?

What makes it even more cool is that I had a tiny hand in matchmaking Roni and Sara. Roni gives a pretty detailed description here, but the short version is that I knew Sara wanted more romance writers and I knew Roni wrote romance. I'd read a few excerpts of Roni's work on her blog, and I knew she could write well.

I wrote a few emails, and then I got to giggle and squee when Sara wrote me to tell me she loved Roni's work and do it again when Roni wrote to say she liked Sara's notes. It was fun, and it was a great diversion during my summer of very little productivity and lots of not fun things. I'm so happy for both of them and I'm hoping they'll have a quick sale once revisions are done.

I've been thinking about why Roni came to mind when Sara asked if I knew any talented romance writers, and these are my thoughts:

1. Roni has a GREAT blog. Really. It's one of the first blogs I started following and I think it appeals to writers of all genres. Her posts are helpful, well written and informative and the look of her blog is very professional.

2. She posts occasional excerpts. This is something I've haven't done much because to be honest, when I see long excerpts (and sometimes short ones too) on a blog I usually skip it, especially if the blogger posts excerpts daily or weekly. BUT, I'll read excerpts if they are part of a blogfest I'm participating in, or if I feel like the blogger is a friend.

3. And that brings me to my last thought: Roni isn't just a blogger, she's a blog participant. She reads other people's posts and comments, she gives back with contests and critiques, and she's approachable. She's the kind of blogger that makes everyone feel like a friend.

I have no doubt that Roni would have found an agent regardless of my referral, but I hope it made the process a little quicker (and the WAIT is the worst, right?)

Have any of you agented writers given your agents a successful referral? Are those of you who are not yet agented making the most of your blog presence?

29 comments:

Diane said...

I follow her blog and knew of the great news. Great job matchmaking and being available to others. :O)

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

Natalie, thanks for such a nice post and I am forever indebted to you for your referral. I'm so excited we get to be agent-sisters! :) This whole thing has just proven what I suspected all along--my writer/bloggy buddies are some of the most kind-hearted, supportive people I've ever come across. *hugs*

Trisha Leaver said...

I love these kinds of post . . . they make all the effort we put into writing seem worthwhile. You are quite the little matchmaker :)

storyqueen said...

Congratulations to Roni...and to you, you little matchmaker!

Shelley

Olivia J. Herrell said...

I, too, had seen the good news on Roni's blog. It's so heartening to know that our dreams do come true. I have found a whole wonderful world of writers here in the blogosphere and you two are great examples of that.

Thank you for all you do, ~that rebel, Olivia

Jemi Fraser said...

What a wonderful post! You're such a kind soul, Natalie! Awesome story :)

Congrats to Roni!

Shana (Yarntwisted.etsy.com ) said...

I actually found your blog because of Roni. She is a great blogger, huh? :) I love your blog too! Can't wait to read more.

Tracy said...

I've learned so much from Roni's blog, and she really does make you feel like you could be her friend. I think this was some awesome news, and what a great way to perk up your summer! (Hers too!) :)

Ted Cross said...

That is really great, because I think this kind of thing should happen more often. People with agents often 'know' (via internet) others who could be a great match for their agent, but so few seem to try to help make those matches happen.

Creepy Query Girl said...

Awe, that's so great that you were able to help her out and congrats Roni! what an accomplishement for you both. On my way to go check out Roni's blog:)

Laura Marcella said...

That's so awesome of you. Congrats to Roni! I'm heading over to her blog now. :)

VR Barkowski said...

What a lovely story! This is a perfect example of how the support and generosity of the blogging community does not lie along genre lines. The fact that you, Roni and your respective blogs are AWESOME, only sweetens the pot. :)

laurel said...

Roni is one of the most giving bloggers and I've learned tons from her posts, so it was gratifying to see the blogosphere "pay her back," so to speak. Thanks for sharing this story. Does a heart good. :-)

Patti said...

I find Roni's blog extremely helpful and it's such great news and I love that you had a hand in it.

DL Hammons said...

And that is why you ROCK so HARD!!! Congrats to Roni of course, but her success says so much more about you as well!

Sierra Godfrey said...

I really love stories like this, and thank you Natalie for taking the time to refer Roni to Sara. It sounds a little weird that *I'm* thanking you for what you did for Roni, but I really love it when authors do this for each other-- when they reach out to their agents/editors and recommend new writers. We all know Roni deserves this, and it's just awesome that this happened this way for her.

It validates everything that social media and blogging should be.

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

This post warmed my heart and made me sad at the same time... I gave up on my novel and now it's hard for me to even read all the writerly blogs I follow.

Perhaps I'll use this wonderful success story as motivation to get back on the horse.

Thanks, Natalie, for doing this for Roni. I really do adore her (and her blog) and I know that she deserves this!

Paul Greci said...

I love this referral story!! And, I love Roni's blog, too!!

C.M. Sherwin said...

Awesome! I too follow Roni's blog and was excited to see that she got an agent! You're an amazing friend as well being the matchmaker.

Erica Chapman said...

That's so awesome! Natalie, you rock! So happy to hear about Roni's news ;o) How cool that you helped with it, too. What a great feeling!

Disgruntled Bear said...

This really is a wonderful virtual community. Kudos to you for the referral, and another congrats to Roni!

Jill Kemerer said...

I read Roni's experience over at her blog, and it made me happy and excited. It's just really cool to see great things happen, and it's incredible to see how other writers help each other. You're awesome!

Lisa said...

This is very cool news - it's so awesome how people who've never met can connect like this.

I've been trying to blog more often, but it takes up so much time (I barely have any writing time left).

Hopefully it will all pay off one day though!

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

Sorry I'm so late, but YAY for Roni! :) I met Roni and RWA and she's such a sweetheart. I love when great things happen to great people.

Now, having met Sara in person I can vouch for how awesome she truly is. You girls are lucky to have such a superstar for an agent. :)

Congrats all around!

Medeia Sharif said...

Congrats to Roni, and kudos to you for playing matchmaker. :)

Kelley Vitollo said...

What a fantastic story. Congrats to Roni and I bet it feels for for you, Natalie, that you were a part of it :)

Anita said...

Woo-hoo! I love this story. There are a couple people who I will send Sara's way, as soon as they finish their manuscripts. I hope she'll be as impressed by these writers as I have been.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I read Roni's posts on Friday, and it was such exciting news! It's wonderful that you were able to help her that way. I hope I am using my blog to the best of my ability. Either way, I'm having a great time and I've made many wonderful friends. :-)

Melissa Sugar said...

What a wonderful post. I am a semi-newbie and I am just now paying attention to what I should be doing as far as social media networking and building an on-line platform etc. Better late than never-I hope.

I love Roni's blog. I just discovered it and became engrossed. She has so many informative and useful post. I pre-ordered her book today. I am always excited to read a debut novel and Roni's really captured my interest.

You did a wonderful thing. I am sure that she is appreciative. I believe that Ron's future as a published author will be filled with much success.