Monday, August 23, 2010

That book you COULDN'T put down

Hey everybody! Sorry for my stinky blogging lately. I'm finding it really difficult to sit at the computer and write anything these days. Between the pregnancy and foggy medicine brain I have a hard time forming coherent sentences. The good news is I am 33 weeks pregnant today and it looks like I might have the baby as soon as 35 weeks, so I should be back to normal (sort of) pretty soon. :)

I may not be a stellar writer just now, but at least I can read! I've been reading some great books lately. Over the weekend I decided to reread THE HUNGER GAMES and CATCHING FIRE to prepare for tomorrow's MOCKINGJAY release. I forgot how much I love these books. Suzanne Collins is pretty much my (and about a million other people's) writing hero.

When I started reading I wanted to analyze the reason that these books are so engrossing. Then I got too engrossed to analyze anything. This is about all I can come up with.

1. The story is brilliant. The concept is unique, the tension is constant, and the relationships are compelling from page 1 of Book 1.

2. The writing is fantastic (in my opinion-- this is one of those really subjective things). Suzanne Collins is not a word waster. Every sentence, paragraph, and chapter moves the story forward. She includes the perfect amount of description. The setting and characters are vivid. I can see the world she's created. But, I haven't noticed a single time when I've skimmed a descriptive paragraph to get to the good stuff (something I do really often when I read a wordy author).

That's about it. I can't wait for MOCKINGJAY tomorrow! I wish I could make it last a few weeks, but I'm sure I'll devour it in a day or two. And I think I'm Team Whoever at this point. I'm just excited to see where Suzanne's master storytelling takes us.

I don't think I've read a book quite so gripping/hard to put down for a long, long time. And I read a lot!

So have any of you read something recently that you couldn't put down? Please share! I'll be pregnant and on bed rest or I'll have a brand new, slightly premature baby for the next few months, so I'll probably be stuck at home for a while. I could use some recommendations for awesome books! What have you read in the last few years that you COULDN'T put down? What made it so good?

21 comments:

Lydia Kang said...

I just read Catching Fire and I'm so curious as to what's going to happen in MockingJay. Thanks for getting me all psyched up for the release!

Patti said...

Totally agree about these books. Getting the book tomorrow.

Lisa said...

I AM THE MESSENGER was really good. Couldn't put it down!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I'm in the middle of A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY. Very well done. Of course, my puppy tore up three pages while I was blogging last night (a library book -- for shame!!). I spent a half hour taping it all back together. I'll have to buy the library a new book, but there's no way I'm going to skip a few pages!

Melissa said...

I love love love The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. I was scared that if I preordered a copy of Mockingjay that it wouldn't get here on time, so I'm going to be at B & N when it opens to get my copy:)

The last book that I couldn't put down was Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins. It has dark elements, but it's sooooo funny!

T. Anne said...

I'm looking forward to reading Mockingjay!!! Hope you get plenty of rest!!!

Jemi Fraser said...

I adore these books too - so well written!

As a kid I couldn't put down Anne of Green Gables - the entire series. Awesome :)

Terri Tiffany said...

I am glad you are doing ok!! Stay well and show us pictures really soon!
I am ready all of Elizabeth Berg's books now. GOt three more out today and sooooooon I will shut this down and go read!

Jessie Oliveros said...

There is this crazy series about vampires and werewolves that I couldn't put down. Can't remember the name of it right now... I am a big Suzanne Collins fan, too. I'd like to read her Overlander books too.

Diane said...

I just got my hands on my first Ted Dekker book and it pulled me in rather quickly. It seemed to have everything going that I found interesting. Characters, genre, fast paced... :O)

Kelley Vitollo said...

I just read these for the first time!! I am in LOVE. Dying for Mockingjay tomorrow!

Katie said...

You MUST read THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE. Best. Book. Of. The. Year.

Sarah Forgrave said...

Soak up the rest while you can! Unfortunately the last few books I've read haven't held my attention. Maybe I should check out some of the ones listed here. :)

Tracy said...

You're so right in that the premise is great and I really appreciated Collins' efficiency of description as well. It helped distract me from the present tense of the novel (which drives me crazy...) and I would never have made it through if it was super wordy on top of that! You've probably already read it, but I finally got a chance to read The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale 2 days ago and couldn't put it down.

Good luck with the last few weeks before baby comes!

Magan said...

The best thing about THE HUNGER GAMES series is that it's pretty unisex and ageless. My husband loves it, my in-laws love it, and I love it...which doesn't happen on anything including dinner.

Wen Baragrey said...

I'm a recent Hunger Games convert. I hate to get into popular series and then have to wait and wait between books. So I only just read The Hunger Games and I am a complete addict! I'm on Catching Fire now and just desperate for Mockingjay to come out here. I'm really glad I waited to read them, so that I can do it in one go. I'd have never made the wait!

I'm so glad you're hanging in there with pregnancy. I'm crossing everything for you to have a nice easy, trouble free birth (after you've had time to read Mockingjay, obviously). ;)

Christina Lee said...

YES YES YES! Today is the day!!!! Hey if I can't say so sooner, good luck with your delivery and all ;--)

Georgina Dollface said...

The Life of Pi was one of my favourites. Of course I was laid up in bed anyays at the time, so putting it down usually meant I'd be bored out of my mind. But still, it was a very compelling read. The Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood was also a favourite. The ending reminded me of the ending of "Atonement".

I can't believe that baby is almost on the way. It has all gone by so quickly! All the best for your pending new arrival! - G

Talli Roland said...

OK, I MUST reas these books! They don't seem to be quite as popular here in the UK as in the States.

Joanne Fritz said...

Wow, the baby's almost here! Best of luck with the delivery. And no apologies necessary for the lack of blogging. I'd say you have a valid excuse!

Most compelling books I've read? MOCKINGJAY was definitely one of them. I posted a spoiler-free review today on my blog. YOU by Charles Benoit really blew me away. I devoured all of the CHRONICLES OF ANCIENT DARKNESS series by Michelle Paver. And BEFORE I FALL by Lauren Oliver is a must-read.

Ashley and Jeremy said...

I've heard so much about this book but haven't actually gone and picked one up yet- but you've convinced me, I'll have to go give it a try!