Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A healthy dose of PERSPECTIVE

I'm very sick right now. Three of my kids are sick too, including the baby. My family hasn't all been healthy at once since January, and because of that I haven't written anything all month. I'm snuggled up in bed right now with baby, trying to keep warm despite a wicked case of the chills. I've been feeling pretty sorry for myself for the past couple of days.

And then I read about the earthquake in New Zealand. I realized that Chistchurch is where my dear friend Wen Baragrey lives. Any of you that follow Wen know that she and her family have had a very trying couple of months. Her premature grandson was born in November and seemed to have complication after complication before he finally came home in January only to head back to the hospital last week.

Thankfully he and all of the rest of Wen's family made it out of the city okay, but it was a scary time for everyone. Wen detailed the experiences of her family here.

It's so easy for me to get caught up in mylife and my worries and not realize that other people are suffering far greater challenges. But today my thoughts and prayers are with Wen and the people of Christchurch, NZ.

17 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

A healthy dose of perspective is always a good thing. Christchurch is in my prayers, too.

Keisha Martin said...

Its normal to feel that way, and your right seeing or hearing about another person situation helps us put our lives in perspective. Take care of yourself you cannot write amazing novels if you are not well. Sending best wishes to you and your family. =)

Jemi Fraser said...

It's amazing what a crisis does for our perspective. We also have a person in our circle of friends who's had an infant requiring surgeries. terrifying. Sending my well-wishes to Wen and everyone else in NZ

Anita Saxena said...

Hope you feel better soon! Perspective can definitely change how we process the negative in our life.

Joanne Fritz said...

So sorry to hear you and your family have been battling illnesses all winter. But you're absolutely right about perspective. Glad to hear that Wen and her family made it out of the city.

Get better!

VICTORIA SAAVEDRA said...

My prayers are with the people of New Zealand as well. I hope you and your family feel much better.

Katie Mills said...

awe, I'm glad to hear your friend is okay. Get well and enjoy the snuggle with baby:)

Wendy Paine Miller said...

I will be in prayer. We are sick here too and I couldn't agree more that remembering others and their burdens helps throw it all into perspective.

Hope you recover quickly with rest.
~ Wendy

Wen Baragrey said...

Aw, Natalie, thank you. But honestly, you need to take care of yourself too. Being sick isn't any fun either, especially when you have little ones depending on you! We're all safe and sound now. I just wish we could say the same or everyone else in our city. The news just keeps getting worse and worse.

Jessica Nelson said...

I'll pray for all of you. *hugs*

Sara B. Larson said...

It's hard to keep it in perspective sometimes, until a tragedy like this forces it upon us. My thoughts and prayers are with them, too.

paulsifer42 said...

Knowing how others suffer always makes you happy about how little you do. The funny thing about that though: Others often will look at each other and both will thank God that they do not have the same problems as the other.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

xo

Emy Shin said...

I always try to tell myself this whenever things in life become too much. It's good to have perspective.

Jill Kemerer said...

I'm sorry for you and your friends. Being sick is really tough. Our weather has been getting to me--we've had blizzards, ice-storms, and endless snow days. Spring can't come soon enough. Take care of you, okay?

Jean Ann Williams said...

This I've learned over the years; there's always someone having a harder time than me.

My prayer list gets longer all the time.

Hope you and your children are feeling better real soon, Natalie.

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

I'm late, and I know you're starting to feel better so I hope you're weekend is full of fun and good health.

Poor Wen. I'm glad she and her family are safe. World events like that really do help put things in perspective.

xo