Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Conference That Got Away

Two years ago I planned to go to a writing conference in Orlando.  I registered for the conference, bought airline tickets, had a place to stay.  I was SOOO excited because I'd get to meet my agent, Sara Megibow, for the first time AND I'd get to hang out with one of my best friends, Karen Hooper.

I was 6 months pregnant and healthy and doing great.  And then I wasn't.  I had some major complications and had to cancel my registration a week before the conference, get my plane tickets refunded, and tell my roommates I wouldn't be coming.

It sucked.

Now, two years later, I'm finally headed to the conference that got away, RWA (in Los Angeles this time). Karen and Sara will be there along with many other writer friends.

I'm SOOOO excited!

You probably know that RWA is short for Romance Writers of America, and if you've read this blog for a while you know that I'm not a romance writer.  I write books for kids.  So why would a children's writer go to RWA?

Short answer: because I've heard it's the best.

I've been to a couple other conferences.  They were super fun and I learned a lot at each of them, but everyone I've talked to says RWA events are on a different level.  I can't wait to see if they're right!

Is there a conference you'd love to attend?  Is there one you've been to that you highly recommend?



7 comments:

Riv Re said...

So exciting! Super happy for you now. =D

I really, really want to go to BEA, here in New York, but I'm under 18, and it's always at the worst time, in the final stretch of classes before finals start.
It probably doesn't count, but I've been to the RenFaire once, and that was a ton of fun. (Definitely worth it.) Not a conference, but great research for me, who writes medieval fantasy. (Plus, there are jousts and stuff!)

Enjoy!

~Riv Re
Riv Reads

Tess said...

I've heard wonderful things about that conference -- hooray that you get to go!

DL Hammons said...

I went to the DFW in Dallas this year, and loved it. I'm thinking of doing that one again next year, plus the Pikes Peak one.

Have fun at your conference! :)

Wen Baragrey said...

I want to go to that one, because you're there! :) Maybe next time, you never know!

I can't believe it's been two years. Wow, I guess it has when you add up the baby's ages and all.

I hope you have a wonderful time, and say Hi to Karen from me :D

Jen said...

exciting stuff!!
hope you have a really good time and safe travels
I LOVED Karens book I won on Jaydens auction :)

Jade said...

Have fun!

I had to cancel my trip to Europe in May because I was so violently sick with morning sickness, which sucked.
I'm hoping to hit ComicCon in a few years time.

Jaime Wright said...

I've been to the ACFW conference twice. So sad I have to miss it again this year. It's fantastic and a great chance to be with other weird writers like myself! :)