Monday, July 16, 2012

On Traveling with Children

I always think summer will be some magical time when I finally catch up on everything, get back into blogging, and write outside while my kids play sweetly in the grass.  Surprise, surprise, that's never the way it goes. :)

I'm still horribly behind and my blogging has been awful. I promise that someday I will be better--unfortunately, at this rate, "someday" might mean 10 years from now.

Anyway, here's my attempt at not letting the blog die.



We try to take our kids on some sort of summer vacation every year. This spring as my husband and I were talking about where to go we skipped over all the usual places and decided instead to take a road trip through the western U.S. and Canada.  Why did we decide this?

Because clearly, we are insane.

Have you ever taken a long road trip with one child?  Not fun.  Now multiply that by FOUR.  I cannot even tell you how many times we stopped to pee or how many times we didn't stop and wished we had...

Most of the trip at least one child was unhappy. Every twenty minutes someone was hungry or thirsty or had to pee or needed a diaper change.

But guess what?  I'd do it all again.  Because when my kids think back on the experience all they'll remember is this:



 And this:

 And most of all THIS:



Worth it.


What are your favorite family memories?



9 comments:

Jen said...

so cool!!
they will remember it for years to come!!

DL Hammons said...

The fact that you'd do it again PROVES that you're insane!! :)

I traveled all over the country with my family on vacation, in a station wagon, and all I remember is the time in the car. It was torturous!

Sarah Skilton said...

Love the photos! And you're so right, they won't remember anything but the fun you had.

Stephanie Thornton said...

Totally awesome pictures!

And I'm right there with you. We've dragged my daughter (granted, there's only one of her, not four) to Egypt, Turkey, Guatemala, and all over Europe. People think we're crazy, and at times I feel that way, but I've got scrapbooks to prove I'd do it all over again.

You can stay home anytime, but you probably won't remember sitting on the couch watching Toy Story for the fiftieth time. However, you will remember traveling with your little ones. That makes all the hassle and headaches totally worth it.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Many of the places I remember with awe were due to road trips. There's nothing like getting out of a car after many miles and finding an extraordinary site awaiting discovery. You've given your kids a great gift.

Wen Baragrey said...

You're a brave woman, Natalie, but I already knew that! I love the photos. It looks like such a beautiful place!

Em-Musing said...

When my daughters complain that my grandkids drive them crazy on vacations, I ask them if they remember how they drove me crazy. They don't. It's the fun that remains in memories.

Jemi Fraser said...

Traveling with kids in a car can be both a joy and a nightmare!! The bathroom breaks are ridiculous!! But you're so right - they'll remember the very best parts and be clamouring to do it again soon! :)

Joanne Fritz said...

This is lovely, Natalie! Make all the memories you can. Some of them will be wonderful, some just awful (like DL's car trips), but funny when you look back at them.

Our boys are 25 and 22, and even now if anyone says: "the stinky motel" all four of us crack up. That was from 1997! But our oldest also proudly remembers being asked to carry the wood chips in Sturbridge Village on that same New England trip.

That's what it's all about.