Monday, March 28, 2011

Liar Society Blog Tour


Today I have the privilege of welcoming Lisa and Laura Roecker, the authors of THE LIAR SOCIETY, as part of their Blog Tour of Awesome.


Lisa and Laura are two of my favorite, favorite bloggers. They are hilarious and super sweet and inclusive. When they sent me an ARC for their debut novel THE LIAR SOCIETY, I knew I was in for a treat.

I was not disappointed. THE LIAR SOCIETY was a very fun read. One of the things I appreciated most was the well thought out mystery. They kept me guessing right up to the end. I asked them to share a bit about how they managed to keep the mystery fresh and exciting.



KEEPING A MYSTERY MYSTERIOUS


A big part of our process when we're writing a mystery is outlining. We would be completely lost if we didn't have some kind of road map while we're drafting. For us, outlining and mysteries go hand in hand. We need to at least have a rough idea of where the story is going. For us that translates into a loose outline of the entire book and then a more detailed chapter outline for Act 1. After we wrote the first act we created an outline for Act 2. This worked really well for us because we had both structure and flexibility as we drafted.


Revising was an entirely different beast. After editing The Liar Society for the nine millionth time, we began to really, truly, whole-heartedly regret our choice to write mysteries in the first place. Keeping track of which clues went where and who we were supposed to suspect and when is enough to make our collective heads explode. Our number one goal while writing was obviously to keep the mystery fresh, but not completely out of left field.


At the end of the day, for us, the most important thing was to have fun with the book. Our hope is always that if we have fun writing, our readers will have fun reading. Hopefully our theory holds up!


If you want to enter The Liar Society Blog Tour of Awesome contest, and really, who wouldn't want to enter!?! There's a $100 Amazon gift card up for grabs! Just click here and enter the super secret password, BFFS, for an entry. Remember you can enter one time for each stop on our blog tour, so be sure to click here and see where else we're visiting this month to maximize your chances of winning.

Audi, Vide, Tace,

L&L


Thank you Lisa and Laura!

12 comments:

Jen Daiker said...

They are so made of awesome! I loved The Liar Society and expected nothing less with these two girls involved!!!

Thanks for sharing their awesomeness!

Melissa said...

Awesome post! I can't wait to read this book (it's among the books in my TBR pile!)

Wen Baragrey said...

Definitely on my TBR pile :) I just know this book is gonna rock. I mean, come on, pink hair? What's not to like!

erica m. chapman said...

LOVE them, love the book! Great post ladies ;o)

Sara McClung ♥ said...

I read TLS on the day it came out <3 Love the book, love the authors. Win/win all around! And this mystery post was interesting--I never thought about how hard it might be to keep track of all the clues!

windycindy said...

I am really enjoying this fun blog tour!
I can not get your contest entry form to work...
Thanks, Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Sarah Allen said...

Ooh, looks super exciting! Best of luck with it all :)

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

skyla11377 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
skyla11377 said...

The Form isn't working for me....=^(

skyla113779At)AOL(Dot)Com

Jemi Fraser said...

Loved this book! So well written :) It must be really hard to keep all of the clues and red herrings and suspects in line!

Eli Squared said...

The form doesn't seem to be working right now; thought you'd want to know.

Thanks for the awesome chance to win though!

eliweibley(at)gmail(dot)com

Sarah Skilton said...

I really liked what they had to say about outlining, particularly with mysteries. It's definitely something I struggle with. Thanks for sharing!