Sunday, August 21, 2011

Balance

A few weeks ago I was talking to my cousin at my grandmother's funeral.

He asked me about my writing and I told him a little about the book I wrote and the ones I'm working on now. He said something to the effect of, "I'm so impressed that you can do that and raise 4 kids."

It was a sweet thing to say, and I could tell he meant it. I should have just said thank you, but I've always had trouble taking compliments, so instead I said, "Well, I don't do very well at other things. My house is always a mess."

Then he said something that really made an impact on me. I can't remember his exact words, but they were something like, "We should feel sorry for people with little children and immaculate houses. They miss out on a lot."

I liked that.

14 comments:

ladonna watkins said...

Very true.

Jessica Nelson said...

Yep. Interesting thing to say.

Joanne Fritz said...

Wow, that's perfect! Smart cousin. But I'm sorry about your grandmother.

Emy Shin said...

That's such an apt quote. I'm sure there are people with little children and immaculate houses who still manage to do what they love. But I'm sure they're the minority.

Reagan Philips said...

I love this. I have a toddler, three dogs, and a messy house. But I LOVE my life.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I LIKE this!

Keisha Martin said...

Pursueing my dream of getting agent/published comes way last my children mean the world to me because children grow up so fast and I don't want regrets, what I can control now is being a positive parent that values spending time with my girls...the housework I won't lie I am a compulsive cleaner especially when I am stressed, and I love the smell of cleaners that smell like pine and lilacs LOL =o)

Wen Baragrey said...

What an awesome cousin! And so wise, too. I totally agree. When I look back on my kids' childhood, I don't particularly remember whether or not the house was tidy all those times I stressed out about it, but you can bet I remember the wonderful things I was there for.

It's a shame that all too often, we don't get perspective on these things until it's much too late.

Em-Musing said...

Such wisdom. I'm going to pass this on to my son-in-law who's a neat freak with my grandkids.

Valerie Geary said...

Truth. Love it.

Sara said...

so true so true!!!
:)

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

Aww, so sweet and so true. He's a wise man. <3

Paul Greci said...

Wise words!! :-)

Roxane B. Salonen said...

I can so relate to that, Natalie, and have thought similar things myself. We would go crazy trying to keep up with our house, kids and writing. Something's gotta go. For the writer, it's likely not to be the kids or writing. :) I think you chose well. There will always be time to have a clean house later, but you can never have this time with your kids, or this moment in your life when words are flowing well.