Monday, August 8, 2011

A Life

My 91-year-old grandmother passed away last week. She lived a long and remarkable life, and she will be very missed.

She raised six children in a two room log cabin without indoor plumbing. They were poor. My dad tells stories of Christmases when the only gift for the kids was a bit of hard candy.

All of Grandma's kids learned to work hard, and as a result all six children graduated from college.

It's impossible to think about Grandma's life and not feel a little ungrateful. We have so much, and can't imagine life without television or Internet, much less flushing toilets or air conditioning.

I am grateful for Grandma and all the people who've gone before us to make this world what it is. It's not perfect, but darn it, at least we can pee inside.

15 comments:

Lisa Aldin said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Natalie.

Jaime Wright said...

Hope you all can treasure her memory and the love she gave you!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

What a life and what a treasure!

VR Barkowski said...

A sweet tribute to a life well-lived. So sorry for your loss, Natalie. Hold those memories close.

Scott Stillwell said...

So sorry for your loss, Natalie. It is, however, always comforting when you look back on the memories of lost loved-ones and realize they made the world you inhabit a better place.

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

She's with your grandpa smiling down on all of you. *big hugs)

Emy Shin said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Natalie. This is such a thoughtful post about those who have gone before, because you're right that what we have now, this generation, is so much better than any generation before us.

Wen Baragrey said...

Your Grandmother's story never ceases to amaze me! I struggled hard enough bringing up two kids with plenty of rooms and electricity. You wrote a lovely tribute to your grandmother :)

I did giggle at your last line there, though :)

Valerie Geary said...

A fine remembrance. May we never take what we've been given for granted.

Jessica Nelson said...

I'm sorry Natalie! I just had a scare with my grandma and know how it feels to love and admire them so much. She sounds like a wonderful lady!

Eileen Astels Watson said...

I'm sorry for your loss. May memories fill the emptiness her loss must leave.

Janna Qualman said...

Her life, even just through you through these words, is very touching.

I'm sorry for your family's loss, Natalie.

Jemi Fraser said...

So sorry for your loss Natalie. Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman - treasure those wonderful memories and lessons learned from her. *hugs*

Slamdunk said...

My condolences with the loss of your grandmother Natalie.

Martha Ramirez said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. May peace be with you and your family.