Sunday, October 16, 2011

Being a Mom

Sometimes I get a little annoyed when I see interviews with celebrity moms. Many times the focus is on their designer nursery or their creative naming skills and NOT on the fact that they are responsible for a small person and need to do their best not to screw up that small person's life.

I'm here to tell you that being a mom has NOTHING to do with designer nurseries. It has very little to do with cute clothes, creative baby names or fancy car seats.

Being a mom is about waking up with a newborn every three hours day and night. It's about sleeping on the floor next to the crib when a toddler has croup so you can hear each rattly breath and know he's still breathing.

Being a mom is about cleaning carpet a million times when it's time to potty train and not getting upset when a five-year-old still has an accident every now and then.

Being a mom is about comforting a six-year-old when a kid at school has been mean. It's about sitting down with a book and trying to explain why the a in "have" doesn't make a long A sound.

And being a mom is about skipping a birthday celebration so you can be up all night with three kids with 102+ degree temperatures. It's about cleaning puke, and poop, and pee ALL THE TIME.

Being a mom is not glamorous.

Today is my birthday. I'm 31. I feel happy about these 31 years. I'm glad I graduated from college. I feel very lucky that I was able to marry my best friend. I'm pleased that I've written a few books. But I'm most proud of the seven years I've spent being a mom.

This morning my sweet sick children brought me birthday cards full of pictures they'd drawn and creatively spelled versions of "I love you, Mom."

Being a mom is hard, but it's so, so worth it.

20 comments:

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

I am not a mom yet, but I agree with you and love this post!!! Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! <3

Sarah Skilton said...

Happy Birthday, Natalie, and thanks for this heartfelt post. I have the feeling I'll be coming to you for advice in the year ahead. I can tell you ROCK as a mom :)

Roni Loren said...

Happy Birthday! And sorry to hear your kiddos are sick. :(

I love this post and though I only have one kidlet, I feel your pain. My birthday was a few weeks ago. Hubs had planned for me to get a massage and then we were going to have a nice adult dinner out. But kidlet got sick. So I spent the day at home with him and slept on his floor that night. But that's what being a mom means. You take the hard stuff because the good stuff is so good. :)

And don't even get me started on potty training. Kidlet turns 4 next month and we're not even close. *sigh*

Emy Shin said...

Happy Birthday!

This post is so heart-warming, and I hope that your child will feel better soon!

Alexandra Shostak said...

Happy birthday, Natalie!!! And congratulations on your 7 years of being a mom. :)

Keisha Martin said...

Happy Birthday, sending hugs, I have two girls age 10 and 5 I understand what you go through, and I would do anything for my kids, they are the reason I strive for a better life for them. I multi-task for my children and I stop everything when they need me. That includes writing, I had to go on a break because my oldest was sick, and I stayed up in the middle of the night tending to her, and going to work few hours later. The reality is the moments we spend time with our children that will remain with them for many years .

Stephanie Thornton said...

Happy birthday, Natalie! I've been there for just about everything you wrote about, but reading about your birthday card made me teary-eyed.

My daughter writes me love notes almost every day with very creative spellings. It's enough to make me wish she wouldn't learn to spell!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Happy Birthday, dear Natalie!
I'm sorry the kids are sick, but I'm glad you have them to love and be loved in return. It's priceless. I have a drawer full of drawings and cards from my daughter as she grew up. Still warms my heart and makes me smile.

Sarah Forgrave said...

Happy birthday, Natalie! This was a beautiful list and SO true!

Wen Baragrey said...

Happy, happy birthday!!!! I hope you had a wonderful day (it sounds as if you did!). And you are so very right, in every single way :) I can tell you from experience, when your kids grow up (which they do so incredibly much faster than you think they will),

what you look back on and regret is all the things you missed with them, not the outside achievements you didn't have. You don't even remember those :)

Kelly Lyman said...

Great post--I think all too often society forgets what being a Mom really is about, and in turn, sometimes we Mom can lose sight of it as well. I hope you have a wonderful birthday and that it overflows with blessings, laughter and much happiness! Happy Birthday!!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Yes, yes, yes!!! You did a wonderful job of summing up much of what it means to be a mom. Bodily fluids are a HUGE part!! I'm so sorry your kiddos are sick.

Happy Birthday, Natalie!! :-)

Lisa Aldin said...

Happy Birthday! Sweet post!

Kathryn Packer Roberts said...

This is such a sweet and wonderful post. I ditto all your remarks and all the birthday wishes to you as well. Awesome!

Joanne Fritz said...

Happy belated birthday. Your post brought tears to my eyes. You're a wonderful mom, but you are also a great writer.

Jessie Oliveros said...

Nothing is better than being a mom. I think that as moms the best thing is knowing that we're doing a good job, because more than often we think we AREN'T.

Good job.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Happy birthday, my dear! I remember when we first "met" what a great mom I thought you were. Looks like I was right. ;)

DL Hammons said...

Happy (belated) Birthday!!!

Being a Dad ain't to shabby either. :)

Jaime Wright said...

Happy Birthday! and Amen!

Alexandra Rose said...

Wonderfully on point. I love this post.
http://beingmama.com/
http://ohsoprettylife.blogspot.com/