Tuesday, February 16, 2010

This Is A Contest You CAN'T Miss

I'm supposed to be unplugged this week. Unfortunately, this week has turned into a crumby week for writing, so I'm pushing back my unplugged time until next week.

And this is good, because I need to tell you about this totally awesome contest at Elana Johnson's and Shelli Johannes-Wells' blogs.

This is the kind of contest I would have LOVED to enter before I got an agent, because you can win query critiques (and partial critiques) FROM AGENTS.

I don't know about you, but when I was writing my query letter I would have done just about anything for some professional advice. I think they are giving away 6 different agent critiques(just kidding, between the two of them they are giving away 8 agent critiques-WOW) so there are many chances to win (plus, while I'm sure there will be hundreds of entries, there probably won't be thousands like Nathan Bransford's contests. The odds will be pretty good.)

I'm sure 90% of you already follow Shelli and Elana, but I'd hate for the other 10% to miss out on this opportunity.

You need to follow both blogs to enter (which you won't regret--they are both must-reads in my opinion). And they even have cool prizes for the already-agented, so you should enter too.

So I'll ask you, if you could have any leg up before you query (a referral from a client, a query critique by a professional, a conference pitch session with your dream agent, etc.), which would you choose?

22 comments:

Lost Wanderer said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I am off to check it out now. :-)

Tamika: said...

A conference pitch session with my dream agent! That would be heavenly!

Elana Johnson said...

Hey, thanks Natalie for the shout-out! And yeah, I don't think we'll have thousands of entries. So everyone come enter!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Oh, yeah! I'm all over these ones! :-)

Renee Collins said...

Cool contest! Thanks for the heads up.

Definitely, of the three options you listed, I'd pick the conference pitch session to my dream agent. (I've actually had both of the other two.) I'd just love to meet that agent and connect with them on a one on one level. Plus, I think my sense of humor comes out better in person.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I think I'd pick the query critique, because I might be too nervous during a pitch. And, yeah, I've entered. You bet!

Shelli said...

excuse me - im expecting a million entries! ;)

i have 3 agent critiques and I think elana has 5 or 6.

not that any of us are counting or anything! :)

Thanks for the "hallah!"

Sara McClung ♥ said...

Oh I'm SO all over these contests. Super awesome :-)

I might actually say a personal referral... But why are you making me CHOOSE? I want allllll three! *wines*

Sandy Shin said...

I wavered between a query critique and a pitch conference, but ultimately decided on the former because I am a terrible speaker and am as likely to turn the agent away from my project as I am to catch his/her attention. :>

Plus, a query critique will hopefully leave me with a query that'll be good enough to garner other agents' attention.

Rachelle said...

I love the look of your blog. And man, queries! I think they should be listed as a synonym for stress.

Roxane B. Salonen said...

I think the in-person deal is really important. I'm wavering between the chat with dream agent and client referral. The in-person connection in whatever form is quite valuable, methinks, and very hard to attain. One can dream, though...

Jemi Fraser said...

This is a fabulous contest from 2 incredible people!

Patti said...

I've entered and crossing my fingers.

Tabitha Bird said...

thanks for the link. I am heading over there NOW! :))

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

I'd want a critique from a know-it-all genie who could grant me with the magic words in my query to interest the RIGHT agent for me and my story. :)
And that is a great contest. I entered. :)

Susan R. Mills said...

I think I'd take the query critique. I must go make sure I'm entered.

kathrynjankowski said...

I'd go for the query critique. If you can't pique an agent's interest, you're stuck.

Terri Tiffany said...

I entered this am!! I hope I pray I win!!

Candice said...

Thanks for the info. I need to go enter that contest!

Julie Dao said...

I would definitely get some one-on-one time with an agent for my leg-up, particularly about the query. Thank you for sharing about the contest! I still have to check it out!

L.T. Elliot said...

Thanks for the contest info!

Charmaine Clancy said...

Unplugging is the hardest thing to do, it's so tempting just to check our facebook or emails, then see that a great blog is updates so we visit and the next thing you know....
When I have little bursts of 'logging off' I even keep my radio off in the car and stop listening to Podcasts - then I can spend my quiet drive time contemplating my next chapter and all the possible situations I can put my character in.