Thursday, May 20, 2010

Busy and Productive

This week has been a little insane. Kind of like last week! I think I was kind of nuts to think May would be LESS busy than June. My girls are finishing school and with that comes school programs, field trips, art projects, and assignments. And right now we're gearing up for a huge family reunion this weekend. It's going to be awesome, but people are staying at my house which means it has to be clean...

Anyway, despite the crazy week I've been able to get a lot done on my WIP.

Have you ever heard the saying that if you want something done you should ask the busiest person? The idea behind it is that busy people know how to manage their time.

I think there might be something to this. I know when I don't have much going on in my life I don't manage my time very well. I spend a lot of time online and waste time doing stuff I really don't need to do. But when life gets really crazy I HAVE TO figure out how to fit everything in and as a result I usually get more writing done and have a cleaner house, despite the added workload elsewhere. It's kind of cool actually. I do get overwhelmed by busy weeks sometimes (like last week!), but most of the time I'm pretty productive.

Have you noticed that you're more productive when you're busy? Or does too much to do overwhelm you?

19 comments:

DL Hammons said...

No correlation there for me. My productivity is tied more to my mood, then how busy I am. :)

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

That's absolutely how it is with me. When I have a to-do list the length of my arm and three hours to get it all done in, I prevail! Give me a week to do all in...and I'll still end up knocking out the list in the last three hours. *sigh* It's just how I roll, I guess :)

Have a great reunion!

Jamie D. said...

Yes, for me productivity is definitely tied to how busy I am, to my dismay. The more I have going on, the more I seem to get done, but there is a point of diminishing returns. Thankfully, I reside in "just busy enough" space 95% of the time. ;-)

KM said...

I agree. I tend to be more productive if I have to squeeze in time for everything simply because I'm in "the zone" to get stuff done.

Patti said...

Totally agree. I find on the days I have a lot to do, I get a lot done, but on days where nothing is pressing is when I falter.

Catherine Denton said...

I WISH it made me more productive! Instead, I get overwhelmed and the family cheers for simple things like clean underwear.
Winged Writer

Jade said...

Yes! When I've got stacks of stuff to do, I'm all organised. When I've got nothing to do I tend to lie on the couch and watched Entourage re-runs!

Have fun at your family reunion!

Diane said...

I am definitely more productive when busy. I just keep plugging away until its done. :O)

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Come on over. I've saved so housework for you! ;)

Anita said...

I'm exactly the same way. Deadlines are great motivators, also...even when I have project that doesn't have a deadline, I've give myself one.

Sarah Skilton said...

I agree! When I work full time, I have to prioritize and make the most of my writing time, but in the past when I've had part-time jobs, I didn't increase my productivity because I couldn't seem to get as motivated. It's so weird, and always a balancing act.

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm always busy too, and I do manage to get a lot done - so I guess it's true in my case. Who needs sleep anyway? :)

Tracy said...

I get more done too, but not necessarily the stuff that I really want to do!

Jessie Oliveros said...

Ha, I just wrote a post similar to this. It's true.

Stephanie Thornton said...

I've gotten a lot done in the last two weeks, but virtually none of it was on my WIP. I just didn't have time amongst all the grading.

But now school is out. Yay!

Laura Marcella said...

I totally agree! I always get more done when I have a tight schedule.

Have a wonderful weekend!!! Good luck working on your WiP while dealing with tons of family, lol!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I think I do get more done when I'm super busy, but that's because I put blogging on hold. That's a huge drain (though a fun drain) on time.

Have a great weekend!

Erica Chapman said...

I think it depends... for me, I agree the more productive I am, it seems I get more writing done. I've been in a slight slump lately. I'm so thrilled to hear your WIP is coming along ;o) Yay!

Have a great weekend!

Terri Tiffany said...

YES!! I get so much more done when I'm busy or otherwise I think I have all the time in the world!