Friday, May 7, 2010

What We Can Do

I've mentioned before that I get overwhelmed when I see news coverage about natural disasters. I feel helpless. I know I can't fly down to Haiti and feed hungry children suffering after the earthquake. I can't do anything to staunch the flow of oil into the Gulf of Mexico. And I can't go to Nashville and put my arms around the people who have lost their family members, homes, and livelihood.

But, I can give money. Even if it isn't a lot.

There are some fantastic opportunities right now to share with people effected by these disasters. I'm sure you've heard about the Do the Write Thing for Nashville Auction raising money for flood relief. You can bid on agent critiques and phone calls, editor critiques, books, and so much more. It's a great opportunity to get professional feedback AND help out people in need.

And if there's nothing at the auction that interests you, there are hundreds of other ways to give (just make sure to only donate to legitimate charities!). I hope you'll do something if you can.

11 comments:

Courtney Barr - The Southern Princess said...

Natalie! I know how you feel. I HAD to post yesterday about Nashville and I plan to post more about the spill as more information is discovered.

Both of these are bordering me! I am in Bama and well, Nashville is a quick trip that we take often so many of those landmarks are special to me; and the Gulf is only 2 hours from my town and where I spend MANY weekends in the summer...it is hard knowing these tragedies are occurring. Any help is good help. ;o)

thanks for continuing to spread the awareness!

Visit My Kingdom Anytime

Sarah Skilton said...

Thanks for the info, Natalie. The auction looks amazing and it's definitely a worthy cause.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I'm offering a critique. I'm not sure how interested someone would be in a debut author's opinion, but I felt like it was something tangible I could do.

Jenn Johansson said...

Great post, Natalie. I've been feeling helpless too. Thanks for reminding me of a way I can help. *hugs*

Diane said...

So sad. Even giving a little is helpful.

Happy Mother's Day! :O)

Beth said...

Thanks for spreading the word - we're seeing it on the news every day because we're in GA, and it's just terrible. Here's hoping lots of people will donate!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I think this auction is an AMAZING idea! I'm definitely checking out the items.

Have a great weekend! :-)

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

There are so many great things to bid for on that Do the Write Thing site. Wish I could afford to spend that much money for a critique.

*sigh*

Erica Chapman said...

Thanks for sharing. What a heart wrenching thing that happened. Mother Earth can be cruel. It's a great site!

Jessica Nelson said...

During things like this people really show what they're made of! Thanks for the links. I haven't done anything yet, besides pray, but I want to and need to. Thanks for my reminder!
I can't imagine what they're all going through. :-(

blueicegal said...

so true, great post Natalie :)