Thursday, December 17, 2009

Honest Scrap

This passing on awards thing is more difficult than I imagined! Most of you already have some of the awards, so it's been like a giant puzzle trying to determine which awards I can give to who. While searching for award rules today I discovered there is an award I'd missed, so I had to shuffle everything again. I know I'm going to accidently leave someone out or give them an award they already have. So PLEASE forgive me if I do (and take whichever one you want-- you all deserve one!) A little grace is always a good thing.

Today I'll be passing on the Honest Scrap award. It was given to me by Victoria S. Victoria is a dreamer (and I mean that in a good way). She writes paranormal/romantic YA and her blog posts are always lovely.

This is one of the awards with a lot of rules and since I don't feel like following rules today I hope you won't mind if I disregard them and do my own thing. (I'm such a rebel).

Instead of sharing 10 honest things about myself I'm just going to tell you one story about how honesty pays off.

I know I've mentioned that I met my husband in college. He and I were good friends for several months before we started dating, and we may never have started dating if it weren't for his philosophy teacher.

This teacher gave his class an assignment to be 100% honest for one weekend (no lying period--not even white lies or avoidance). My husband made the mistake of telling me and my roommates about this assignment. One of my roomies decided to take advantage of his perfect honesty to see exactly what he thought of us, so she asked, "do you have a crush on me?"

He replied (honestly), "No Em. I like you as a friend."

Then she asked about a few of our other roommates and the answer was the same.

Then she asked about me. I was sure he'd say no (and break my little heart because I kind of liked him).

But instead he blushed, looked right at me, and said, "Yes Nat. I think you're hot." He said other nice things after that (just so you know he wasn't totally shallow).

We started dating soon after and now we've been married for 7 years (with no itch in sight). Honesty is a good thing folks.


Now, without further ado, I give you 10 Honest Scrap bloggers. They write very different blogs, but all are sincere, great reads.

Corey Schwartz at Thing 1 and Thing 2
Bane of Anubis at Bane's Blogging Blues
Janna Qualman at Something She Wrote
Lisa and Laura at Lisa and Laura Write
Stacy J Warner at Stacey's Respite
Thomas Taylor at That Elusive Line

Thanks to all of you for your honest posts! You are wonderful.

Stay tuned for more awards.

(And don't forget about kissing day blogfest! You know you want to share one of your kissing scenes with the world!)

24 comments:

Bane of Anubis said...

Thanks, and that's a very sweet/cool story.

Lisa and Laura said...

Thanks for the award Natalie! And we agree...honesty is the best policy (although it has sometimes gotten us into trouble). I love a good love story, so thanks for sharing about your husband/college sweetheart. We both married our high school sweethearts--strange, I know.

Jade said...

Thanks Nat! That was a cool story.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Congrats once again, Natalie to you and the other winners. Those are some great links! ;-)

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, what an awesome story! I LOVE IT! Thanks for the award and thanks also so much for getting a copy of my book. It means a lot to me, Natalie!

Janna Qualman said...

Aw, thank you so much, Natalie!

What a great story about you and the hubs. Thanks for sharing that.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Awww, what a neat story! I love that your future husband did not wiggle out of his assignment due to embarrassment or figuring no one would know if he fudged. That took guts.
I can't wait to read your kissing scene. I think I'm going to play Monday, as well. It sounds fun.

Sarah Skilton said...

Oh my gosh, thank you so much!! That is so sweet of you :) I shall happily display it as soon as I figure out how, haha!

Your husband-meeting tale is eerily similar to mine... We also met in college, were best friends for about a year before we started dating, and we've now been married for five years.

I love the honesty story -- that's such a great way to find out he liked you :)

Thanks again for this award!

staceyjwarner said...

Natalie,

Thanks so much. It is such a pleasure being part of your bloggy family.

much love

L.T. Elliot said...

I loved the honest story. How cute is that? I'm a big fan of honesty, myself. I have a friend who is always honest and up front and it's so refreshing to always know where I stand with her. It's one of my favorite qualities in her.

Daisy Whitney said...

Lisa and Laura are great! Thanks for reading my branding article on their site today!

Stephanie Thornton said...

That's a wonderful story! Like I'm-grinning-like-an-idiot wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Erica said...

What a great story. So, so cute!! Thanks for sharing with us :o)

Thanks for the award too! Aw you're so sweet :o) Congrats to the other winners too!

Thomas Taylor said...

I can honestly say I'm grateful for this award. Thank you. Also, it's the first one I've seen that I actually wouldn't mind displaying on my blog:)

Matthew Delman said...

One of the big reasons I married Her Sarcasticness is because of her honesty. It's among her best features that I always know precisely what she's thinking at any given time.

So I place a high premium on honesty. And that is a kick-ass story about how you guys started dating.

Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

Natalie, isn't it so much fun to give them out? Congratulations to the recipients.
~ Wendy

destrella said...

Love your story and the fact that he blushed! :O)

CKHB said...

Awesome. I'll check out the links!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Awww...that is such a sweet story!! See? Honesty is the best policy. :)

Susan R. Mills said...

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing. And congrats to all the award winners.

Jill Kemerer said...

Congrats on the award! Looking forward to checking out the winners I don't know yet!

Have a fab weekend!

Bethany Mattingly said...

Wow! Congrats to everyone! Can't wait to check out all the new blogs :)

Voidwalker said...

That's actually a really cute story. Yes, I'm a guy and I said "cute," so sue me. LOL

Jessica said...

Woohoo! You hottie. :-)