Sunday, December 20, 2009

Kissing Day Has Arrived!

In honor of the mistletoe a couple of my Twitter friends and I decided to dub today Kissing Day, and share a scene from one of our manuscripts that included kissing or almost kissing.

There isn't any kissing in my finished MG manuscript or my WIP. I tried to search through manuscript #1 for a good kissing scene, but reading it was just too painful (Wow it's bad! Don't quit after your first manuscript folks--you will get better!) So I wrote an entirely new kissing scene for your reading pleasure. It's a little rough since I just wrote it on Thursday, but here it is:


“Okay Paige who’s it going to be?” Chris Rodriguez asked as he sent the bottle spinning.

It zipped around like a merry-go-round. I imagined it stopping in front that boy from pre-algebra who was always pulling at his nose hairs. There were 10 possible candidates, but I planned for the worst—then anyone else would be an improvement.

My heart raced. I felt nauseous. I pictured kissing nose-hair-guy, with his crusty chapped lips and greasy hair. I could do it. It’d just be a quick peck. If I could kiss my grandma, who had more facial hair than my dad and smelled like Bengay, I could kiss anyone, right?

When was that bottle going to stop?

It lazed around a few more times, slowing as it passed each person. It inched past nose-hair-guy and crawled past the next guy too, and pointed to Alex.

It felt like a brick hit my stomach. Alex Henson. The Alex Henson. That same Alex Henson that I’d had a crush on since third grade. He looked up at me and smiled, pushing his messy blond hair out of his eyes. I tried to smile back as the tsunami in my stomach inched up my esophagus.

I’d picked the wrong worst-case scenario. Kissing Alex would be a thousand times worse than kissing nose-hair-guy. What happened to Chris’s parents? They were only going out to get pizza. Shouldn’t they be back by now?

Alex stepped up to me and winked as he whispered, “You ready Paige?”

I felt my knees buckle as he wrapped his arm around me and led me out to the back porch.

I think I was hyperventilating by this point, though I’m not exactly sure, since I don’t really know what hyperventilating feels like. I felt strange and lightheaded, like I was breathing, but no air was getting into my lungs.

Alex walked me over to the porch swing and we both sat down, so close I could smell his mom’s fabric softener. He reached up and put his hand in my hair and smiled again, his blue eyes glistening and sincere.

How was this happening to me?

I watched as his eyelids covered his eyes, and his soft lips, turned up just a bit at the corners, came towards me.

Then, the chaos in my stomach erupted. I backed away and yelled, “STOP!”

He jumped back, his expression changing from charming to confused.

“I just had a throw up burp.” I blurted.

His pained look got worse. His eyes fell to ground as he stood. “It’s totally fine if you don’t want to. I’m sorry. I just. It’s no big deal. Lets go back in. We can pretend it’s done.”

I nodded, speechless.

He stuffed his hands in his pockets and I stood up to walk beside him back into the room full of hopeful pre-teens.

He gave them a half smile and they cheered. Then he sunk into the beanbag in the corner, and I went to hide in the bathroom.


Sorry about the grossness and lack of romance. I tried--I really did. Sherrinda is hosting the day, and putting together a massive list of participants, so go read their (probably much more romantic) kissing scenes and link to your own. And if you've posted a kissing scene let me know in the comments so I can check it out! I'm going to try to read all of them.

59 comments:

Sara ♥ said...

OMG I love it!! So creative - nosehair guy? I cracked up reading this! I love the entire scene! I made up a new scene for the day too (but it's scheduled to post tomorrow morning).

Seriously... This was awesome :-) You definitely set the bar. AND a kiss didn't even happen! (I guarantee I won't be the only one to say this, but I think this is worth expanding on! I love the characters already.)

Jade said...

Ha! That was great. She probably scarred poor Alex for life.

redqueen1 said...

I was totally laughing out loud. A throw-up burp? Genius. LOL.

I'm participating, too. My blog is: http://redqueen1.livejournal.com/

L.T. Elliot said...

I thought this scene was full of honest emotion. My heart hurt for Alex but equally so for Paige. I wonder if you'll make a project of this?

Thomas Taylor said...

ha ha, great fun!

Tabitha Bird said...

Spin the bottle... Oh my. That brought back some interesting memories. Why do we do that?

Heather Sunseri said...

I have tears streaming down my face form lauging so hard. I even read the no-kiss part to my husband, who replied, "that's gross!" That was great, Natalie! Thanks for a good laugh to start my day.

Jessica said...

Eeek! How could you do that to him! That poor guy. LOL

Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

I love nose-hair guy. I once told my grandma she smelled nice (I really meant it). She let me know all she put on that day was Bengay.

This was so much fun to read. Memory lane.
~ Wendy

Bethany Mattingly said...

Loved this! I was laughing through the entire thing! The grandma and nose-hair guy were so creative!

Tina Lynn said...

Poor Alex. He may never recover. This was awesome. Classic:)

Marybeth Poppins said...

Love it!!! Throw up burb! OMG that is hilarious!

destrella said...

Anything involving a bathroom and I am there! Cute job! :O)

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

OMG too funny!!!

Linda Kage said...

So realistic! I loved it.

Kelly Lyman said...

I love it! Please tell me that you are going to finished this story! I want to know what happens next. I can remember a moment just like this actually!

storyqueen said...

Nose hair guy!! What's funny is that my daughters really do name kids they know (especially boys) like this! There is LIbrary Boy, Frosted Tips Kid, etc...

Good job!

Shelley

Renee Collins said...

lol, oh that's terrible/hilarious. :D

Amalia T. said...

Oh the pain!! I feel so bad for Alex, who so obviously thinks she doesn't like him now! And so bad for her, when she's obviously totally in lurve with him! haha. Great scene!! And thanks for coming up with such a great idea--this is the most fun I've had blogging in a while. My scene is up on my blog, too, if you get a chance!

L. T. Host said...

Really cool, Natalie!

Today's Mad Libs Results Day, so I'm not sure yet if I'll participate or not.

Tamika: said...

Love it Natalie! The nose hair guy is a visual that will stay with me all day. I enjoyed reading!

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

natalie - this was fantastic! i could totally picture her having a throw-up burp at the thought of kissing THE ALEX. :) fun, fun, fun!

jeannie
Where Romance Meets Therapy

Nickles said...

Ha-ha. I thought this was brilliantly funny! The nose-hair guy was great.

Patti said...

I agree the kiss with the good looking guy would be way more stressful. Loved the scene. I participated as well, except mine's a little awkward.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I'm snorting coffee here! A throw-up burp is genius. Love it, Natalie. Those pre-teen kisses are never a good thing. As an aside, I know a woman who says she once threw up on her boyfriend in such a moment. Can you live that down?

Elle Strauss said...

The 'not kiss' was unexpected, but a great twist. I think you do have something here to expand on. Good job just making this up on a whim.

Jamie D. said...

LOL - That was hilarious, and adorable. Great scene...wonderful job! :-)

Wendy Sparrow said...

LOL. Nose hair guy? That was hilarious. Poor Paige.

Mary said...

Totally made me laugh. SO GROSS! Ah - so sad it didn't happen. Check out mine.

Karen Denise said...

Oh, I feel so bad for Alex. He probably thinks she didn't want to kiss him. But I LOVED this. It felt real and I could relate Paige, thinking the worse and hoping for the best. Now I want to know more! LOL.

Kristin said...

"I’d picked the wrong worst-case scenario." LOL. Love it! I feel so much for both of them! ;) (And I want to know more!)

Southern Princess said...

Hilarious. Poor Alex... he obviously wanted the kiss..throw up burp? eww.

;o) It was great!

Thanks for stopping by my entry. I love this idea!!

http://princesscourtneysbarr.blogspost.com

V. S said...

I was hooked form the very beginning. I want to know what happens with Paige and Alex!

Renee Collins said...

Okay, I came out of my blog break to post a kissing scene. Cause kissing scenes are worth it. :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, gosh, you captured those pre-teen feelings PERFECTLY! Loved it!

Girl with One Eye said...

lol, that was awesome. I feel sorry for her. We have all had moments like that before.

T. Anne said...

LOL! I remember that game way back when. Such a right of passage isn't it? I think my own game went a litle better than hers but just a little! Love your style!

Pepper Basham said...

LOL...hilarious! Poor guy! Poor girl.
fantastic excerpt - though it didnt' give me any warm fuzzies ;-)

Voidwalker said...

Don't apologize :P besides, you just reminded me that I need to buy a beanbag lol

Nisa said...

lol! I loved it! Oh that was the best thing I've read all day because it was so unexpected. Loved it!!

Sarah Forgrave said...

Oh, this is so funny and so relatable! Such a typical pre-teen response to that situation. :-)

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

Yup, that def sounds like something you'd write. lol. I knew nothing about this kissing blogfest. I've been so busy and outta the loop, but thanks for sharing. :)

C R Ward said...

LOL I loved this! Poor Alex!:-)

sherrinda said...

Oh.My.Goodness! That was totally hilarious! I am so impressed that you could take a non-kiss and make it that awesome! I was laughing out loud and re-reading it again and againg! Nose-hair guy with the chapped lips! lol You rocked it, girl!

Melissa said...

I totally wasn't expecting that! You had me laughing so much that my kids came in to see what was so funny. Nice job!

heidi ruby miller said...

Spin the bottle! That's classic!

And, you are certainly right about not stopping after the first manuscript. I tried to look through some old material of my own and cringed.

VR Barkowski said...

Wow! This is terrific, Natalie, funny, heartwarming and poignant. You're wrong about the lack of romance, it's there. It's just overshadowed a bit by um... reality? :)

Fireblossom said...

Nose Hair Guy?!? Yick! LOL.

This is fun to read, it made me smile and laugh, but it's frustrating, too! You're terrible, you reeled me in til I wanted that kid to kiss ME, haha, and then she bails. Truly a tragedy. :-)

Mine is listed at #79, I think it is, on Sherrinda's linky thingie.

PS--I love the font you use. Papyrus, yes?

kathrynjankowski said...

Funny and achingly real. Good job!

careann said...

An all-too-real pre-teen nightmare moment! The characters are wonderfully portrayed. :)

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

lol, great scene. Love your MC's voice. This is probably a much more realistic kissing scene than others. We all know first kisses are usually awkward and cringe-worthy. :)

Lisa and Laura said...

How did we miss kissing day!?! Love this!

Bethany Wiggins said...

What a tease! Oh, how I wanted them to kiss.

Julie said...

'I just had a throw up burp'. HA! What a way to kill the mood.
I'm cracking up over here.
Poor guy! I can't imagine he'd WANT another stab at that kiss!

giddymomof6 said...

LOLOL! Okay, that was funny!

But aww... he liked her!

Jenni James

Daisy Whitney said...

Throw-up burp is hilarious!!!

Diana Paz said...

Lol, great laugh!! Poor Paige, and someone must have said this by now, but you might have a whole novel in this idea!

Erica said...

Great scene! “I just had a throw up burp.” I blurted. LOL OMG that was hilarious :o) Great job!

LeMira said...

This has made me so excited to read your book when it comes out because I can tell that I love your voice! Now, I want the rest of the story. . . what a good one! (I know this isn't from your book, but it sure gives me a taste for your talent.)